Saturday, April 24, 2010

Projek A109 LOH PUTD

The Agusta A109 LOH entered the Malaysian Army service in late 2006 replacing the aging and trustworthy Sud Aviation Alouette Mk III. The 881 Regiment Pasukan Udara Tentera Darat mow operates a fleet of A109 LOH. The regiment itself was formed up back in 1996 and the aircrews have been through many flight schools and trainings to make them what they are right now.
I am an aviator by trade and an avid modeler during my free time..(I wish I had more free time!!). I have been modeling since I was 14 years old and developed my skills over the years. I never consider myself an expert since every time I looked at others work, I realized I have to learn more to be like them. However I decide maybe I should share my work with you guys. You are most welcome to comment me.....For this particular project, I used the 1/43 scale die cast Agusta model that you may purchased at any Toy City outlet.

The first step to do is to seperate the blades, and the rotor head cover. Take note that the model itself is not the correct A109 LOH configuration used by PUTD. Therefore some modifications and adjustment will have to be made as I will show later.Sand off the paint and markings from the model (be sure not to scratch the clear parts! Take not the handle previously at the center of the tailboom has been removed and reposition below the exhaust outlet. I bored holes and used 0.6mm wire to make the new handle..(actually the antenna). I also made the HF antenna at the right side of the tailboom as you can see in the real A 109 LOH picture above.Modification at the nose of the aircraft. you can see the cover on the actual helicopter.The wheel covers and antennas made from PLA plastic and glued directly on the model. I used UHU glue instead of CA glue but be sure to leave it overnight so that it will bond stronger. The next step after all the modifications have been made is to wash the model. Why wash it? Simple..to remove all the dust and oil resideu (from your hand mostly!) and also to ensure that the paint will adhere to the body when you're ready to paint it.Leave it to dry by itself after washing. Afterwards, I masked all clear parts and ready the model to be paint. Don't forget the clear parts under the aircraft!.. The model after primer paint has been airbrushed. The reason is for the next layer of paint adhere to the model and also you can see if there are imperfections on the model surface..........remember...paint the basic color of you choice after primer paint...as for me..I start with Green, followed by Brown,Black and lastly cream color...after that..time for finishing touch up and its done..

4 comments:

  1. en.suhaimi,, nice work.. !!
    strecth build from toy to detail model..
    mane nk cari heli besar2 mcm tu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yang ni panjang dalam 10 inci..boleh dapat kat Toy City..banyak jenis..

    ReplyDelete
  3. En Suhaimi, saya juga minat membina model pesawat. Saya ada lebih kurang 120 yg belum buat dan ada lebih kurang 80 yg dah buat. Saya minat 1/72 scale dan pesawat post-war. Saya pasang model plastic injection, resin dan vacu-form. Saya pernah bina 1/72:scale C141B starlifter tapi malangnya selepas 3 tahun mempamirkan model tersebut pecah akibat jatuh. Banyak juga yg rapuh akibat plastic bristle. Terpaksa ganti dengsn yg baru.

    Saya berhenti seketika kerana menumpukan kerja2 saya. Saya akan mulakan membena kembali 1/72 scale C141B dan C17 globemaster. Model Globemaster akan saya bina sebagai pesawat TUDM (what if Malaysia uses Globemaster).

    Saya juga mempunyai model yg jarang terdapat seperti Short Sherpa, Beech Starship, CN 235 dan model yg tiada lagi produksinya.

    ReplyDelete